The Baoshan Confucian Temple was built in the 12th year of the Qing Emperor Qian Long (1747), and has since been rebuilt many times. In its original form it contained a memorial arch, Lingxing gate, a pond, Dacheng gate, Xiangxian shrine, Minghuan shrine, multiple small rooms to the east and west of the main hall, Dacheng hall, a shrine for sacred worship, the Confucian gate, Yiminglun hall and Zunjing pavilion. During the Sino-Japanese war, all of this was destroyed by the Japanese army, and all that remains is Dacheng hall.
The temple is located in Baoshan district at Number 1 Youyi Road (within Linjiang Park). The main hall sits in the north and faces south, occupying an area of 579 square meters. It is 15.9 by 11.4 meters wide, and has a gabled rooftop. There is a platform in front of the temple hall, 15.9 meters long and 9.2 meters wide, surrounded on three sides by a granite banister imbued with bas-relief patterns. In front of the platform is a ramp and a flight of steps. The stone carving on the ramp is an image of a single dragon carrying a pearl, and there are two stone lines on either side. In 1992, the main hall of the confucian temple was opened as a commemorative museum. On April 27th, 2002, it was named a Shanghai protected cultural site.
The Baoshan Confucian Temple not only has cultural and historic importance, but also artistic value due to its beautiful architecture and statues.